Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Story (or How I Ended Up In New York City)

SHORT VERSION
Mama found me on Petfinder.com, which is a website for animal shelters across the country to post pictures of dogs and cats that need homes. I was at a rescue group in Rossford, Ohio. She flew to Ohio one day last October to meet me and take me back to her apartment in Manhattan.

We are living happily ever after...


MORE INTERESTING, LONGER VERSION

Mama had been wanting a dog ever since she moved to New York City a few years ago. But she lived in an apartment and was away at work all day and didn't think she could take care of a dog. So she says she settled for smiling and cooing at cute canines on the street, much as ladies normally do when they see a charming human baby.

Then one day, she had an appointment with a Reiki Master and energy healer named Aryn Quinn who asked her, "Do you have a pet? I see you with a small dog or cat that would bring you so much joy." Well, according to Mama, that was IT. She'd gotten a SIGN. She decided to immediately start looking for a dog.

She knew there were lots of dogs that needed homes, so Mama went to the animal control shelter in Spanish Harlem and the ASPCA on the Upper East Side. She submitted applications to three different rescue groups in New York City. She called the North Shore Animal League on Long Island. She came up empty each time. Either there were no suitable dogs, or if there were, they went to someone else who had a yard, or another dog, or who was at home all day.

Mama tells me now that I am exactly what she was looking for, but even better. She knew she needed a dog that was small enough to take on the airplane, didn't shed too much, was good with other dogs and kids, and was loving and affectionate. (That's me, alright!)

Mama says she could have waited for the right dog to turn up at one of the shelters in the City, but not only is Mama determined, she is impatient. Lucky for me, she decided to look nationwide for a dog to adopt. That's when she saw my picture, posted by Gloria from Midwest Havanese and Small Dog Rescue, and fell in love with my mug. (Can you blame her?)

On a Monday morning, Mama emailed Gloria and poured her whole heart into the adoption application. "I would give my dog lots of time, attention, and love, and a loving, forever home," Mama wrote. (My name was Banjo then. I'm so glad Mama changed it to Jasper. Suits me so much better, n'est-ce pas?)

Out of more than thirty applications that Gloria got requesting to adopt me, she picked Mama. "I never adopt out of my area," I heard Gloria tell Mama, "but something told me that he should be with you." I'm glad Gloria listened to that thing you humans call your "gut instinct." We dogs do it all the time.

I think Mama and I were meant to be. I don't know what it was, but I liked her right away. She seemed nice and brought some treats for me. She giggled like a little girl when I licked her face. Maybe that's why I like her; because she's silly.

The plane ride to New York was a little scary, but Mama was there to soothe me. We landed at the airport and it was crazy! The first cab driver refused to let a dog into his car. (As if!) Mama soon found a nice driver who drove us into Manhattan.

The lights and noises were scary at first, but I adjusted fast. I know it's only been a few months, but I feel like a New Yorker.  I don't jump at loud noises anymore and I like to stand in the street when I'm waiting to cross. (But Mama always pulls me back.)

I love it here and I love my Mama!

P.S.  Mama still lives in an apartment, but she quit her office job at the end of last year. She's home all the time now typing at her computer a lot. I like to curl up on her lap and nap.

No comments: