Friday, January 25, 2008

Should I Take the Doggie DNA Test?

Sometimes, I wonder where I came from and what I am. All I remember is wandering around the woods in Ohio by myself and being picked up by a human who took me to the local animal shelter. 

Most everybody agrees that I am probably Yorkshire terrier mixed with something else. My vet thinks I'm part Shih Tzu.  Other people think I'm part Miniature Schnauzer. My groomer, Joanne, thinks I've got some Chinese Crested in me because of the spots on my skin and my long legs. Somebody else was sure I was part broken-haired Jack Russell Terrier or Maltese. 

I could drive myself crazy wondering what I really am. Maybe I should take one of the doggie DNA tests.   

There's one test where I swab my cheek and send it into a lab. For about $60, they can tell me whether my DNA matches up with any of the fifty breeds that they can identify. 

Or I could take something called the Mars Wisdom Panel test at my vet's office. It costs $189 and covers 130 different breeds and says which of them are in my DNA. The only thing (besides how expensive it would be for Mama) is that it requires a blood sample and I hate needles (yick!). 

What do you think? Should I do it? Does it really matter what I am? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eventually everyone wants to know who they are and where they came from. I say go for it Jasper!!!