Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Got Microchipped Today

Mama is nothing if not spontaneous.  Today, on our walk home from the dog park on the Hudson River, she decided to stop in at the Greenwich Village Animal Hospital so that she could use their scale to weigh me.  (I weigh 8 pounds now. Wow! I've gained three pounds since coming to live with Mama.)

While we were there, Mama started talking to the doctor that came to say hi to us and she decided to get me microchipped right then and there.  It cost $65.  What they did is, they got a needle and poked it between my shoulder blades and stuck a microchip under my skin.  It didn't hurt that much and felt like someone pinched me for a second. 

The microchip is tiny, like a grain of rice, and has a number coded on it that corresponds to Mama's name and phone number, so if I'm ever lost, whoever finds me can take me to the doctor or an animal shelter and they can scan me like a bag of potatoes at the grocery store and Mama's info will pop up in the computer.  At least that's the idea.  I plan on never getting lost from Mama, so the microchip is just a backup emergency plan. 

Exciting, huh? You can go to www.homeagain.com if you want to read more about microchipping.

No comments: